Exchange server is one of the widely deployed mail servers of the present arena. Its portfolio of features such as connection filtering, social collaboration and intelligent message filter act as a feather in the cap. But certain hindrances even in the most flawless applications may affect your business workflow. In context to Exchange Server the hurdles which are usually experienced are the errors in the server. In this piece of writing, we have focused our considerations on Exchange Server error 9646.
Scenarios When Exchange Server Error 9646 Is Experienced
In the event of the below mentioned scenarios, the Exchange server gets disconnected from the service account and ultimately leads to the occurrence of Exchange server Error ID 9646.
There are three probable scenarios that result in the occurrence of Exchange Server Error 9646:
1) Microsoft Exchange Server has been installed into your machine. Additionally a service account to facilitate interaction between Exchange Server and a third-party application has also been created. The service account has accessed more than the default permissible MAPI sessions in order to synchronize mails.The default number of connections that an account can open is 32.
2) The batch script that is being deployed to send emails and attachments is exceeding the default number of emails. If the number of emails and attachments and emails are exceeding above 100 and 250 resp. then this error is observed.
3) Another reason which marks the occurrence of this error is the server which is running the Exchange server is currently a part of forest resource. In this a service account is created so as to interact with Exchange server and the MAPI sessions are quiet high.
Reasons Behind The Exchange Server Error 9646
The Exchange Server follows a certain policy regarding the consumption of server-side resources. This policy ensures that the server-side resources consumption is limited to a certain parameter so as to prevent a single user from exhausting the entire resource quota. If any of the above mentioned symptoms are shown by the server it straightaway implies that either a single user has exceeded the limit by opening too many objects or has left too many objects in an open state on the server.
Remedial Procedure For Exchange Error 9646
1) There are different methods by the help of which the users can work around the Exchange Error 9646. To fight back symptom no.1, the service accounts should be granted the ‘View Information Store Status’ permissions. The ‘View Information Store Status’ permission enables the Exchange user to access an unlimited amount of connections.Follow the given mentioned steps to do the same:
- Open the Exchange System Manager.
- Select the desired Exchange Server mailbox store.
- Right click on the Exchange server mailbox store to open Properties.
- Select the Security Tab.
- Select accounts for which you have to set permissions.
- To list the account, go to Add option and then click account name and then add.
- Browse to the Allow Column option.
- In this check the option Select The View Information Store Status.
- Uncheck all the permissions that are not necessary and then click OK.
Note: This method is not applicable for Exchange Server 2013. In this version we need to make changes in the "Administer Information Store".
2) Another method to nullify this error is by making the desired changes in the Registry Editor to change the maximum number of MAPI sessions.This can be done by following the below mentioned steps:
- Open the Registry Editor.
- Browse to the following location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\ParametersSystem
- Click this key.
- If the Maximum Allowed Sessions Per User Entry is not mentioned then edit the key.
- Click on the Edit option.
- Select the New option and click on DWORD value.
- In the entry name option, write Maximum Allowed Sessions Per User and press Enter.
- Right click on the Maximum Allowed Sessions Per User entry.
- Select Modify.
- Select Decimal option.
- In this specify the desired value of the number of IMAP sessions.
- Click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
- In the Run option, type services.msc.
- Click OK.
- Select ‘MS Exchange Information Store service’.
- Select Restart option.
Caution: Take care while making changes in the Registry Editor as any wrong modification can lead to drastic problems. Thus it is advised to make a backup of the registry so as to avoid any possible damage while making the changes.
At this point of time, we believe that you may have been got well acquainted with the Exchange Server Error 9646, the various reasons behind its occurrence and also the solutions to work around this error.