Outlook 2011Outlook for Mac 2011 always run in cached mode unlike Outlook for Windows. If user need “online mode” in Outlook for Mac, Go to Outlook Menu > Preferences > Accounts > Select the Exchange account > Go to Advanced Tab > Select Download Headers only option. User will get a list of messages but it will only be downloaded when user views each message. Sometimes user may get error message while trying to connect Outlook with the Exchange server to access mails, messages, calendars etc. The error user get at this time is called Error Code 18597 on the Mac system. Contents of the File cannot be accessed on Outlook 2011, as user cannot connect their Outlook account with Exchange server.
Cause of Error Code 18597Some of the causes of the error may be due to following reasons:
- It may happen when the email address typed in the dialog box of Exchange account does not match with the one the Exchange Server expects. Since the email address does not match, Outlook 2011 does allow it to connect with Exchange Server.
- Error 18597 in case of Entourage 2008 can also happen when password present in user’s active directory account has expired. Password can be reset through Outlook Web Access (OWA) and relaunch Entourage to resolve the error.
Solution to Resolve the Error Code 18597Some of the points that need to be considered while connecting Outlook 2011 with Exchange Server are as follows:
- We need to make sure that the URL used by Outlook to connect the Exchange Server is correct like the same it was on Entourage.
- One solution may be create a test user account in Mac OS and set up the Exchange account in Outlook from the newly created user.
- Another option is logging feature to help with troubleshooting Exchange connectivity. We can enable logging by following these steps: Launch Outlook for Mac > choose Error Log from the Windows Menu > Go to settings in upper right corner of Error window > Select the checkbox of Turn On Logging for troubleshooting > Select OK
We can use Microsoft’s free web based tool i.e. Exchange Server Remote Connectivity Analyzer that will help Exchange Administrators with the testing and configuration of their Exchange-Based services. It can help in troubleshooting Auto discover settings used by Outlook for Mac, Entourage or Web Services Edition, which use Exchange Web Services Protocol. Following steps are given to use the Exchange Server Remote Connectivity Analyzer:
- Go to testconnectivity.microsoft.com and select the desired test that user want to run
- Select Synchronization, Notification, Availability and Automatic Replies (OOF) under Microsoft Exchange Web Services Connectivity Tests options and click Next.
Account information of test account on Exchange Server will be entered. Select Use Autodiscover to detect settings to test autodiscover or either use Specify Exchange Web Services URL to enter the external server address manually. Click on Perform Test to proceed.
- Progress of test will be displayed as it tests server addresses, services and DNS records.
- Once the test is completed, Analyzer will give successful result or failure. List of failures can be returned. Administrators can troubleshoot by correcting issues lower in hierarchy and work to top until all the connectivity issues are addressed.