Microsoft Outlook (MS Outlook) is a desktop-based application, developed by Microsoft in 1996, providing email facility to clients with an additional feature of personal information management. Since its introduction, many versions have been developed and latest updated version is Outlook 2016. MS Outlook stores the account data in the form of PST File (i.e., Personal Storage Table File) with an extension of .pst, which is a binary type file and stores entire Outlook data like emails, contacts, calendars, etc.
Mac (or Macintosh) is a series of GUI based operating systems developed by Apple Company as ‘Mac System Software’. With its own hardware, Mac OS has its own special role in the market of desktop. MS Outlook 2011 is compatible only upon Mac OS not with Windows whereas MS Outlook 2016 is compatible with both Windows and Mac Operating System.
ProblemWhen trying to sending messages from a distribution list or security group, MS Outlook 2016 for Mac, or Outlook 2011, then sometimes the following error occurs:
Error: An Unknown error has occurred in Outlook
Error Code: 19992
Causes Of The Issues
In the Outlook versions of Mac, we have a limitation that we cannot use contacts of distribution list for communication (like Sending mails) i.e. only can create a distribution list in Outlook 2011 or Outlook 2016 for Mac. Therefore the causes of error 19992 are:
- We cannot send an email messages from a distribution list or security group
- Use only a single account as delegates instead of using distribution list or security group as delegates
- Such error may occur due to Outlook database may be corrupted or damaged.
- Outlook Preferences file may be damaged leading to exchange error.
Solution for Overcoming The ProblemTo deal with such problem follow the following procedure:
- Quit Outlook and All Other Applications: Force quit all the applications running upon the Mac OS along with Outlook.
- Open Outlook 2011 Trying to Connect to a Mail Server: Only open Outlook 2011 / Outlook 2016 along with trying to connect to a mail server. You can also press Shift key and then click Outlook icon on the Dock that will prevent Outlook from sending or receiving mails. Now if the error window does not occurs then stop the procedure here only else continue to step 3.
- Verify the Outlook Identity: The database is record in Identities folder. Move the folder to the desktop due to which Outlook will automatically create a new database. Now again open Outlook and if no problem occurs then you will have to troubleshoot the Outlook database. To do this, follow the following steps:
Here after performing above steps if problem is resolved (no error window display on the opening of outlook) it means that the problem was actually with database and hence we have resolved the issue here only and no need to move further. Else, go to next step.
- Quit all applications.
- In menu on the desktop select Go and then click Home.
- Open Documents and then open Microsoft User Data.
- Drag Office 2011 Identities to the desktop
- Now open Outlook.
Remove Outlook Preferences - This step will determine whether the problem is caused due to damaged Outlook preferences or not. To do so perform following steps:
- Quit all applications.
- On the Go menu, click Home.
Note: The Library folder is hidden in MAC OS X Lion. To display this folder, hold down the OPTION key while you click the Go menu.
Open Preference, and drag the following files on desktop.
- Now try to open Outlook. If no error window occurs then problem was caused due to preference files and if still error window occur the quit Outlook and move, the files back to their original location. Hence go to next step:
- Quit all the running applications.
- Open Library by holding OPTION key while you click Go menu.
- Open Preferences.
Open Microsoft and then Office 2011. Drag the following files to the desktop:
- Outlook Preferences
- OfficeSync Prefs
- Now try to open Outlook. If no error window occurs then problem was caused due to one of the two files and if still error window occur the quit Outlook and move, the files back to their original location. Hence go to next step.
- Create New Account- After applying above steps, still problems does not overcome than you have to create new account in Account.